Discover more from Daily Bible Inspirations
You Can’t Have Your Cake and Eat It Too
A devotion on Matthew 7:13-14
Enter in by the narrow gate; for the gate is wide and the way is broad that leads to destruction, and there are many who enter in by it. How narrow is the gate and the way is restricted that leads to life! There are few who find it.
“You can’t have your cake and eat it, too,” the saying goes.
This proverb means you can’t have things both ways. For example:
• You can’t hang on to your money and spend it.
• You can’t make a habit of skipping class and do well in school.
• You can’t have a happy marriage and be unfaithful to your spouse.
• You can’t sit on the couch all day and be in top physical condition.
• You can’t consume a steady mental diet of television and expect to have spiritual discernment.
Jesus accepts us as we are and where we are at in life when we come to Him to accept the gift of salvation.
However, when we come to Him, we are to come in repentance, expecting to make changes in our lives as we grow more and more like Christ. So, if we come thinking we can hold on to our sins of sexual impurity and immorality, judging others, gossip, greed, drunkenness, dishonesty, and everything else the Bible calls sin, we are mistaken.
Following God means drawing ever closer to Him. We will never be perfect, but as we grow more like Christ, by the grace of God, we will readily leave behind the things that don’t fit on the Narrow Way.
Dear God, Please fill me with a holy passion and determination to be fully obedient to You in all things. In the name of Jesus I pray, Amen.
What in my life do I need to get rid of? What habits or possessions are keeping me from following the narrow road?